Your placenta was made exclusively by your body to support your baby and your postpartum recovery. The first few days and weeks with your new baby are precious. You can give yourself the best chance to fully enjoy your “babymoon” with placenta capsules.
Placenta has been used in Traditional Chinese Medicine for centuries for a variety of applications, including helping new mothers to heal and recover quickly. Encapsulated placenta has been said to increase lactation, decrease maternal sleep issues, shorten healing time, increase energy, restore iron depletion, decrease bleeding and assist with uterine involution following birth. Many mothers report that taking their placenta capsules helped them prevent postpartum mood disorders such as postpartum depression or the “baby blues” that commonly follows childbirth. The capsules are also sometimes created and saved for use during menopause, for difficult transitional periods, for making first-aid or diaper rash cream and much more. Placenta capsules are often viewed as Kosher. And like herbivores many vegans and vegetarians also ingest their placenta without issue.
Some of the beneficial ingredients the placenta contains:
Prolactin: promotes lactation
Oxytocin: for pain relief; produced during breastfeeding to facilitate bonding of mother and infant; it promotes a feeling of connectedness with others
Thyroid stimulating hormone: boosts energy and helps recovery from stressful events
Cortisone: combats stress and unlocks energy stores
Interferon: stimulates the immune system to protect against infections
Hemoglobin: replenishes iron deficiency and anemia, a common postpartum condition
Urokinase inhibiting factor and factor XIII: stops bleeding and enhances wound healing
Gammaglobulin: immune booster that helps protect against postpartum infections
Vitamin B-6: aids in the production of antibodies; helps convert amino acids into serotonin and noroepinephrine which lessens depressive symptoms
Vitamin E: heals damaged skin cells
Cytokines: increases the body’s immune response to pathogens
Products used during processing:
- The water used for steaming (TCM only) and rinsing is water filtered with a reverse osmosis filter and free of most contaminants.
- Organic lemon, ginger and jalapeno are used during steaming (TCM only). Note these herbs are not included in the capsules.
- Latex free, powder free nitrile gloves are worn during all processing.
- Disposable laboratory cutting boards are used during processing and print making.
- Disposable bamboo tongs – used when steaming placenta (TCM only).
- Capsules are made using “00” clear vegetarian/vegan capsules which are gelatin free, GMO free, gluten/starch free and preservative free. They are made with plant cellulose and are also Kosher and Halal certified.
- Capsules and tinctures are placed in amber glass jars to prevent breakdown that occurs from UV/sunlight.
- Tyvek Silica Packets are used to help protect capsules from moisture. They are dust free, tear/puncture resistant and meet FDA requirements for use in dry food packaging.
- Dehydrator is lined with unbleached parchment paper. This prevents your placenta from coming in contact with heated plastic and also aids in sanitation.
- Work surface is lined with disposable chux pads. Your placenta does not come in direct contact with this surface.
- Prints are made using high quality acid free watercolor paper and if needed formaldehyde/bleach free paper towels.
Equipment used during processing:
- Nesco square dehydrator – chosen for the ability to line trays, proper temperature control, and the ability to fully sterilize trays.
- Magic Bullet or NutriBullet grinder – chosen because the container/blade and the motor are fully separate which allows for complete sterilization of all parts that come in contact with placenta. This grinder also fully seals and does not allow dust particles to escape.
- Capsule Machine – chosen for its ability to be fully sterilized and to create capsules that contain the same amount for proper dosing.
- Stainless steel knife – the knife used is one solid piece of stainless steel which allows for complete sterilization.
- Stainless steel bowl – stores placenta once removed from given container and during rinsing. It’s one solid piece which allows for complete sterilization.
- Compact Refrigerator/Freezer – dedicated storage for labeled placentas and placenta products that maintains safe temperatures.
Supplies used during sanitation and sterilization:
- Scouring sponge. Used once and then disposed of.
- Antibacterial food safe soap. Used after reusable equipment has been rinse and prior to sterilization.
- 8.25% Sodium hypochlorite. Used to sterilize equipment. (5.25 % sodium hypochlorite bleach minimum is required by OSHA for creating solution.)
- Clorox Healthcare Germicidal Bleach Wipes. Use to sanitize surface areas that cannot be submerged.
- Recycled paper towels. Used to line work space and allow equipment to air dry as suggested by OSHA.
*Please go to Common Questions to read more about why and how some of these items are used…