Your placenta was made exclusively by your body to support your baby and your postpartum recovery. The first few days and weeks with your new baby are precious. You can give yourself the best chance to fully enjoy your “babymoon” with placenta capsules.
Encapsulated placenta has been said to:
*decrease maternal sleep issues
*shorten healing time
*restore iron depletion
*assist with uterine involution
Placenta has been used in Chinese Medicine for centuries for a variety of health applications. The capsules can also be used to create a first-aid or rash cream and much more. Placenta capsules are often viewed as Kosher. Like herbivores many vegans and vegetarians also ingest their placenta without issue.
Some of the beneficial ingredients the placenta contains:
Prolactin: promotes lactation
Oxytocin: for pain relief; produced during breastfeeding to facilitate bonding of mother and infant; it promotes a feeling of connectedness with others
Thyroid stimulating hormone: boosts energy and helps recovery from stressful events
Cortisone: combats stress and unlocks energy stores
Interferon: stimulates the immune system to protect against infections
Hemoglobin: replenishes iron deficiency and anemia, a common postpartum condition
Urokinase inhibiting factor and factor XIII: stops bleeding and enhances wound healing
Gammaglobulin: immune booster that helps protect against postpartum infections
Vitamin B-6: aids in the production of antibodies; helps convert amino acids into serotonin and noroepinephrine which lessens depressive symptoms
Vitamin E: heals damaged skin cells
Cytokines: increases the body’s immune response to pathogens
Products used during processing:
- The water used during rinsing and steaming has been filtered with a reverse osmosis system and free of most contaminants.
- Organic lemon, ginger and jalapeno are used during steaming (TCM only). Note these herbs are not included in the capsules.
- Latex free, powder free nitrile gloves are worn during all processing.
- Disposable laboratory cutting boards are used during processing and print making.
- Disposable bamboo tongs used when steaming placenta (TCM only).
- Capsules are created using “00” clear vegetarian/vegan capsules which are gelatin free, GMO free, gluten/starch free, and preservative free. They are made with plant cellulose and are also Kosher and Halal certified.
- Capsules and tinctures are placed in amber glass jars to prevent breakdown that occurs from UV/sunlight.
- Tyvek Silica Packets are used to help protect capsules from moisture. They are dust free, tear/puncture resistant, and meet FDA requirements for use in dry food packaging.
- Dehydrator trays are lined with unbleached parchment paper. This prevents the placenta from coming in contact with heated plastic and also aids in sanitation.
- Work surface is lined with disposable chux pads. The placenta does not come in direct contact with this surface.
- Prints are made using high quality acid free watercolor paper and if needed formaldehyde/bleach free paper towels are used.
Equipment used during processing:
- Nesco square dehydrator – chosen for ideal temperature control settings, and ability to line and fully sterilize trays.
- Magic Bullet or NutriBullet grinder – selected for the container that has the blade fully separate from the motor which allows for complete sterilization of all parts that come in contact with placenta. This grinder also has rubber seal not allowing small particles to escape.
- Capsule Machine – chosen for its ability to be fully sterilized and to create capsules that contain the same amount for proper dosing.
- Stainless steel knife – the knife used is one solid piece of stainless steel which allows for complete sterilization.
- Stainless steel bowl – stores placenta once removed from given container and during rinsing. It’s one solid piece construction allows for complete sterilization.
- Compact Refrigerator/Freezer – dedicated storage for labeled placentas and placenta products that need to maintain safe temperatures.
Supplies used during sanitation and sterilization:
- Scouring sponge – used once and disposed of.
- Antibacterial food safe soap – used after reusable equipment has been rinse and prior to sterilization.
- 8.25% Sodium hypochlorite – used to sterilize equipment. (5000 ppm AvChl is the minimum is required by OSHA for creating sanitizing solution suitable for blood/body fluid. At LifeTree Placenta we use 10,000 ppm AvChl for sanitizing reusable equipment as suggested by some governing health agencies in countries outside the US.)
- Clorox Healthcare Germicidal Bleach Wipes – used to sanitize surface areas that cannot be submerged.
- Recycled paper towels – used to line work space and allow equipment to air dry as recommended by OSHA.
*Go to Common Questions to read more about why and how some of these items are used…